Student FAQs

We've tried to answer as many of the common student FAQs as possible, but do feel free to contact us if you have any others! We can always add more to the list and we value any feedback you might have.

Redfern Property is open from 9am to 5pm daily, Monday to Friday. We are available for viewings from Monday to Saturday between 9am and 5pm with prebooked appointments, and can also do evening appointments when prebooked also.

Yes, we do require a guarantor for all student applications, be that a parent or family member. We will then run a credit check on your guarantors to ensure suitability for the property.

You pay your deposit when you sign the contract for your property, so this can be anytime from November through to July. The deposit is usually equal to the first month's rent but always double check!

No one! The deposit is registered straight away with the DPS, the Deposit Protection Scheme which is set up by the Government to make sure that landlords and letting agents don’t pocket the money and get interest too! An agent or landlord has 30 days to register your deposit, and you’ll get an email from the DPS confirming it has been done.

If summer rent is included in your contract, then it is paid right at the beginning of your contract, cleared before the start date or paid on the day. This covers you then for the summer, where you full rental payments will begin in September. If you don't pay your summer rent, we won't be able to release any keys for the property.

Yes! We work closely with a company called Uni Kit Out who sell a range of products from bedroom kits, bathroom and kitchen kits, or per item. You can take advantage of our special offer REDFERN16 which will give you a 10% discount too.

An inventory is essentially a condition report of the property. The purpose of an inventory is to highlight the condition and cleanliness of a property at the beginning of a tenancy (and as such, you need a new one at every tenancy). We won't rent a house without an inventory, unless we've had express permission from the landlord to do so. The purpose of an inventory is two fold - covering you and the landlord. The inventory covers you as tenants in that you are provided with this very detailed document (either digitally or on paper) which will show you the condition and cleanliness of all aspects of the house, as well as highlighting smoke detectors, meters and fire safety equipment. You will be given this and have 7 days to add your own notes (which we don't dispute and advise you to do), and return to us. This inventory is then used at the end of your tenancy to ensure the property is returned in the same condition as when you received it. The inventory will cover a landlord in that we can prove using the time stamped photographs the condition of the property at the tenancy start and end. So if there is damage (for example, blue tack pulls off the plaster on the wall), we can charge fairly for this on the landlords behalf. Equally, we can't charge for damages if we can't prove it has happened.
On the move in day you will need to have booked an appointment with Redfern Property to collect your new keys! You will also need to make sure that by this date you have paid your deposit, and also the first rent that is due (this may be for one month or perhaps a term if you are in a student property).

Each tenant will be provided with one set of keys when they move in, it is your responsibility to look after these keys. Should you get locked out (and outside of office hours) a £20 call out fee applies, and £7.50 per lost key. If we are not available for a call out, we recommend calling a local locksmith.

In most cases yes, but in all cases you will need express permission from either Redfern Property or your landlord. In some cases, a landlord with a large portfolio of houses may have a special deal with a certain supplier, and they may not be able to get out of their own contracts.

In some cases, the TV Licence will be included in the rent, however make sure to check this as it is the responsibility of the tenant to ensure a property has the correct licence. If you’re not sure if you need a TV Licence, visit their very helpful website. Note new changes to the law introducted in September 2016, meaning anyone who watches the BBC iPlayer (either live or on demand) now requires a licence.

Many tenants have no idea what legal accreditation or licences their landlords and also letting agents are required by law to have. One such licence is the HMO Licence - House of Multiple Occupancy. If you are living in a property which is one of the following types, then you will need to ensure the house is licenced to be a HMO. We are also happy to advise on any other licenses, certificates or accreditation, and can more often than not provide copies for you.

• An entire house or flat which is let to 3 or more tenants who form 2 or more households and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.
• A house which has been converted entirely into bedsits or other non-self-contained accommodation and which is let to 3 or more tenants who form two or more households and who share kitchen, bathroom or toilet facilities.
• A converted house which contains one or more flats which are not wholly self contained (ie the flat does not contain within it a kitchen, bathroom and toilet) and which is occupied by 3 or more tenants who form two or more households.
• A building which is converted entirely into self-contained flats if the conversion did not meet the standards of the 1991 Building Regulations and more than one-third of the flats are let on short-term tenancies.
• In order to be an HMO the property must be used as the tenants’ only or main residence and it should be used solely or mainly to house tenants. Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence and the same will apply to properties which are used as domestic refuges.
If you would like further information relating to HMO properties in the Aberystwyth area, please follow the link below or call 01970 625562 to speak with a member of staff, who will be happy to assist with any questions you may have.

There are a few options here, but first thing first please do come and speak to us as soon as you know. We’re here to help as much as we can, and can offer you some advice! Our role as a letting agent is to negotiate between landlord and tenant in order to find a suitable resolution. Please do bear in mind that it depends on the situation and also the landlord completely - we cannot decide fro the landlord to release or not release you from the contract.

Pop in for a chat if you’re looking for some advice in regards to this.

We want to help your moving out as much as possible, because it can be quite a stressful time for you. We don't want you to worry unnecessarily about phantom charges that you may get, and as such we always offer a "pre-move out inspection". This can be anything from a week before you move to a month before, and we'll basically visit the house and give you some advice on areas that need cleaning (for example, the top of those kitchen cupboards).

We will also send a few emails roughly 4 weeks before your tenancy end - these will include tips on getting the most back from your deposit, offering our tenant walk out service and how to claim your deposit back.

On the move out day, you can either leave the key or we can meet you at the property and do a move out inspection with you. This will be comparing the original inventory to the condition of the property as we go around.

You can get in touch with us in a variety of ways! 

Phone: 01970 625562


Social Media



We use an online system called Fixflo to record and track any maintenance which is reported to us. Simply visit the page, and report your maintenance issue.