Tenant FAQs

Please report any maintenance issues via our online system at redfern.fixflo.com. If it is an emergency, please look at our emergency contact numbers below.

It is your duty and we appreciate that you inform us as soon as possible should a maintenance issue arise. We are unable to act if we don't know that there is a problem, and in some cases the problem might be more serious and might affect the safety of yourselves as tenants within the property.

Where we can we will send a member of our maintenance team out to assess any situation, if it cannot be fixed at the time, we will keep you up to date with any progress (e.g. ordering parts).

In an obvious emergency (for example a fire) please call 999, otherwise, please call our 24 hour help line. We will then be able to advise as to whether or not you need to call the numbers below or if we can send someone out to you.

24 hour help line at Redfern Property: 07590 478232

Water emergency line: 0800 052 0130

Gas emergency line: 0800 111 999

Electricity emergency line: 0800 052 0400

We recommend that all tenants insure their contents against damages (you never know what will happen). We work closely with Endsleigh Insurance who can offer you some great quotes on insuring your most valuable contents.

For our student properties, Endsleigh Insurance is included in the cost of your application fee - the application fee is £10.00 more than a private tenant, but includes up to £5,000 contents insurance and £1,000 laptop insurance.

We also work closely with Rentguard Insurance who offer great packages for Landlords - please get in touch for more information!

In most cases yes, but in all cases you will need express permission from either Redfern Property or your landlord. In some cases, a landlord with a large portfolio of houses may have a special deal with a certain supplier, and they may not be able to get out of their own contracts.

Many tenants have no idea what legal accreditation or licences their landlords and also letting agents are required by law to have. One such licence is the HMO Licence - House of Multiple Occupancy. If you are living in a property which is one of the following types, then you will need to ensure the house is licenced to be a HMO. We are also happy to advise on any other licenses, certificates or accreditation, and can more often than not provide copies for you.

• An entire house or flat which is let to 3 or more tenants who form 2 or more households and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.
• A house which has been converted entirely into bedsits or other non-self-contained accommodation and which is let to 3 or more tenants who form two or more households and who share kitchen, bathroom or toilet facilities.
• A converted house which contains one or more flats which are not wholly self contained (ie the flat does not contain within it a kitchen, bathroom and toilet) and which is occupied by 3 or more tenants who form two or more households.
• A building which is converted entirely into self-contained flats if the conversion did not meet the standards of the 1991 Building Regulations and more than one-third of the flats are let on short-term tenancies.
• In order to be an HMO the property must be used as the tenants’ only or main residence and it should be used solely or mainly to house tenants. Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence and the same will apply to properties which are used as domestic refuges.
If you would like further information relating to HMO properties in the Aberystwyth area, please visit the Ceredigion County Council website or call 01970 625562 to speak with a member of staff, who will be happy to assist with any questions you may have.

A great question! The best link we can provide for you is directly on the Ceredigion County Council website, where you can input your postcode and it will inform you of your black bag collection day and also your recycling collection day.


Our standard tenancy agreement is 6 months in length. After this, the majority of our contracts then run on a "Monthly Rolling Basis", which means that the contract is valid month to month. We can on request provide a new contract for a set length of time, but have found that the rolling contracts suit the tenants.

There are a few options here, but first thing first please do come and speak to us as soon as you know. We’re here to help as much as we can, and can offer you some advice! Our role as a letting agent is to negotiate between landlord and tenant in order to find a suitable resolution. Please do bear in mind that it depends on the situation and also the landlord completely - we cannot decide fro the landlord to release or not release you from the contract.

Pop in for a chat if you’re looking for some advice in regards to this.

In the event that you are looking to move out of the property (be that a property you rent from us as an individual or within a house share), one of the options available to you is tenant swapping. This means that if you are looking to leave before your contract ends, you can find a replacement tenant to take over your agreement and responsibilities. We are happy for this and will help you in anyway that we can, however for any potential tenants you do find would be subject to our usual application fees, references and credit checks. We would also take them for a viewing around the property.

If you are coming to the end of your fixed tenancy and don't wish to renew, or you are on a rolling tenancy and wish to leave, we would require 30 days written notice. This gives us some time to inform the landlord, draw up a new advert and take viewings for the property. Ideally, we'll have a new tenant lined up as soon as possible from your move out date. Notice should be written to us, and not provided verbally. Verbal notice will not be accepted.

At the beginning of the tenancy, we have registered your deposit with the DPS and provided them with your designated Lead Tenant. The lead tenant will have received an email with a reference ID and also a repayment ID. Both are required to login to your DPS account.

Before the end of your tenancy, Redfern Property will organise a "pre-move out inspection", usually around 2-3 weeks before you are due to leave. This is a great chance for tenants to point out any problems, breakages or damages, and also to take advice from Redfern Property as to what needs to be done to ensure a full refund of your deposit. There is absolutely no benefit to us in taking money off your deposit, and it is in our interest to provide your landlord with the property as near to the condition in which you accepted it.

We are also happy to attend the property 24-48 hours before you leave, to let you know of anything that will need looking at before you finally depart.

When your tenancy comes to an end, the property will be inspected again by either Redfern Property or the Landlord - it is at this point that all tenants will be informed of any deductions to be made. Once agreed, it is the responsibility of the lead tenant to disperse funds correctly at the end of the tenancy. Unfortunately, the letting agent is unable to help in anyway and does not have access to the account or money held by the DPS.

Upon departing the property at the end of your contract, we advise that you set up a redirect on your post to your new address. Please also ensure that you let us know your forwarding address, so if anything does get past a redirect we can forward it all on for you.

Some key companies to keep updated:

  • TV Licence
  • Council tax
  • HMRC
  • DVLA