WHAT DO LANDLORDS NEED TO DO
COSTS TO REGISTER AS A LANDLORD
DIFFERENT REGISTRATION TYPES
DO I NEED A LANDLORD LICENCE?
- arranging or conducting viewings
- gathering evidence for the purpose of establishing the suitability of prospective tenants
- preparing or arranging the prep of an inventory or schedule of condition
- collecting rent
- being the principle point of contact for the tenant in relation to matters arising under the tenancy
- making arrangements with a person to carry out repairs or maintenance
- making arrangements with a tenant to secure access to the dwelling for any reason
- checking the contents or condition of the dwelling – or arranging for them to be checked as part of a current tenancy or for one which has ended
- serving notice to terminate a tenancy
WHO NEEDS TO BE TRAINED SO THAT A LANDLORD IS LICENSED
“a person doing things under a contract of service or apprenticeship with an applicant for a licence where the applicant of the licence is acting on behalf of the landlord and the person does any of: Sub sections: 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3c of Section 10 in the act and Section 12 (1)”
HOW MUCH DOES A LANDLORD LICENCE FEE COST?
LANDLORD TRAINING FOR A LICENCE
- Landlord Training Wales
- Carmarthenshire County Council
- Connells LTD
- DPA Law
- Guild of Residential Landlords LTD
- RLA Wales
- TFP Online Ltd
TOTAL COSTS TO YOU, THE LANDLORD
- During landlord registration you can upload/register all of your properties, you don’t need to register per property
- As a landlord you have to register – an agent can’t do it for you. What an agent can do is fully manage the property so that as a landlord you don’t need to be licensed.
- A separate registration must be done for each landlord arrangement that a landlord is part of e.g. sole ownership, joint ownership & company ownership = 3 registration fees payable.
- The fees collected are for the running of Rent Smart Wales, and will include support for landlords and agents across Wales.
- The agent licence lasts for 5 years
- Rent Smart Wales training day is an informal, 1 day course held in various locations across Wales
- Rent Smart Wales laws are in addition to current housing multiple occupancy (HMO) laws